Our Goal:

OUR GOAL: Visit fifty states within the next two years. (edited: We missed our two year deadline but still hope to visit all 50 states)

The Rules: States we visit or where we have already visited as a family (three or more members) count. States visited by only one or two family members (such as a business trip) don't count.

Layovers and stopovers don't count. We have to actually either drive though a state or do some activity, outside of the airport, in that state.



Sunday, September 9, 2012

While we are waiting....


While everyone is waiting... with baited breath, mind you... for my Birmingham posts, I thought I would take a moment to talk about our next trip and then let my thoughts meander.

As I mentioned previously, Disney has rooms available at the All Star Sports resort for $66 per night. My husband is, sadly, working so it will just be the kids and I. I left him in charge of booking the trip and he made the executive decision to disregard the children's need for education in exchange for their need to ride Big Thunder Mountain. He booked us for a 7:00PM flight on Thursday night. I am working on the wording of the 'sick note' now.

This is a pretty aggressive plan since we live an hour from the airport and I don't get off work until 5:00 but I accept the challenge.

As we were headed to the shuttle bus to the airport parking lot last night, Lil' Bit asked me "Mommy, let me ask you something".. She has this uncontrollable need to preface every sentence with "Mommy, I want to ask you something" or "I want to tell you something" So she asked me "Mommy, when do we go to Dizworld next" (Maria, stop making fun of the speech delayed girl). I counted out the days with her and suddenly realized that we were getting off a plane at that moment and our Disney trip was only five days away. That's not even a week! I'm starting to think we are crazy.

When I started this blog, I imagined that we would take a trip once in a while and I would blog about it... once in a while.... and that the blog would sit dormant in the mean time. I thought that if I were ambitious enough, I might fill the blank moments with random travel tips and such. And here I am, unable to keep up with posts about the trips we have been taking.

I do expect the trips, and therefore the postings to slow down as we approach the holiday season since I will have to save some money for Christmas shopping and such. Also, I am back in college and need to spend at least a few moments a week on school work. But, in the mean time, I am already fantasizing about our next quick trip.

This time of year, we are pretty much focusing on cities within the two hour (by air) travel time so that we can fit the trips into a day or maybe a weekend. Once we knock out every state east of the Mississippi, we will have to schedule trips around school breaks (but not the big holidays because then we won't find empty flights).

The week of November 5, for example, has the kids in school for only two days. so I had bvetter find a good long trip to take then.

OK, enough meandering for now. As it is, the kids are going to have to dine on canned green beans and bread since I have been on the computer too much and have not even though of what they are eating for dinner. Wild raccoons eat better than they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment