Our Goal:

OUR GOAL: Visit fifty states within the next two years. (edited: We missed our two year deadline but still hope to visit all 50 states)

The Rules: States we visit or where we have already visited as a family (three or more members) count. States visited by only one or two family members (such as a business trip) don't count.

Layovers and stopovers don't count. We have to actually either drive though a state or do some activity, outside of the airport, in that state.



Sunday, August 12, 2012

I'm so proud of my boy

He brought a little tear to my eye.

We had this Chicago trip planned and as of Friday afternoon, there were still 88 unsold seats on the 7AM flight.  But suddenly, Friday evening, all the seats were gone.  What happened was that there had been tons of storms throughout the country, causing cancelled flights and therefore, missed connections and such.  So, the airline "protected" all of the remaining seats so that they could get these stranded passengers out the next day.  It doesn't man that they actually had people for those seats but rather that they were leaving them available for all of the passengers that they anticipated would need them.

So, my husband and I decided that the kids and I would head to the airport and take our chances.  The only risks would be disappointed kids and a two hour wasted round trip to the airport.

All this had come to light after the kids had gone to bed so I couldn't prepare the kids until the next morning.  When we were driving to the airport, I explained that there was a chance that we would not be able to get to Chicago and if that was the case, we would not be sitting around the airport all day waiting for a flight (like we have done in the past) but rather, we would just turn around and go home.

My son turned to me as we walking into the airport and said:

"Mom, if the Chicago flight is full, why don't we just look at the flights and find somewhere else to go today... after all, we are flying by the seats of our pants."

That's my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment