Our Goal:

OUR GOAL: Visit fifty states within the next two years. (edited: We missed our two year deadline but still hope to visit all 50 states)

The Rules: States we visit or where we have already visited as a family (three or more members) count. States visited by only one or two family members (such as a business trip) don't count.

Layovers and stopovers don't count. We have to actually either drive though a state or do some activity, outside of the airport, in that state.



Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wine & Food Festival, continued

Hops & Barley

 
 
 
I didn't get the Linda Bean's Lobster Claw Cuddler chilled with Herb Mayonnaise
 

 

Or the Linda Bean's Perfect Maine Lobster Roll

But, interestingly enough, people are very willing to let you take pictures of their food if you explain that it is for your travel blog


But, it was time for something sweet again.   I enjoyed the Pumpkin Mousse with Dried Cranberries and Orange sauce.


Florida Local

 

The Florida Shrimp Ceviche with Fire roasted Vegetables, Fried Plantains and Cilantro was good but not the best thing at the festival.

Japan




As a sushi lover, I found the Spicy Hand Roll (Tuna, Sal,on and Chili Pepper, Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil topped with Kazan volcano sauce) to be amazing.

Singapore

Always a fan of Mahi Mahi, I enjoyed the Seared Mahi Mahi with Jasmine Rice and "Singa" Sauce.


 Morocco

Maybe it was because I was pretty full again.  Maybe it was because I actually make a pretty good Kefta but I found the Kefta Pocket (Ground Seasoned Beef in Pita Pocket) a bit of a chore to eat.  I will admit it was good but not what I would call great.


New Zealand


Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney (which I didn't try)


The Seared Sea Scallop with Kumara - Red Curry Puree and Apple Radish Salad had a perfect sear on it.  The outside of the scallop was perfectly caramelized.  This dish was delicious and I desperately wished I had room for another one.


Belgium




I could eat mussels all day long.  The Steamed mussels in Hoegaarden Beer Broth with Baguette were a little on the small side but packed in a ton of flavor.

France

The last time I was in EPCOT for the W&F Festival, I had the escargot so I decided to give something else a try this time.  My memory of the escargot was that if you liked a bow full of butter, you wold like this dish.  The snails were served in tiny little bread bowls, swimming in butter.  It was delicious.




This time I tried the Coq au Vin sur Gratin de Macaroni (red Wine Braised Chicken, Mushrooms, Pearl Onions and Macaroni Gratin)


OK, I for the first time, realize that the picture is not that appetizing by I assure you that the food was great.  The macaroni wasn't much to write home about.  It was pretty typical mac and cheese with abaked finish  but the chicken and accompanying gravy was very good.

Ireland

OK, you have figured out by now that I like Cheese.  I almost never eat it at home but really enjoyed the Kerrygold Cheese Selection:  Irish Aged Cheddar, Dubliner and Cashel Blue Cheese wit Apple Chutney and Brown Bread.

I could have had a whole bowl of the apple chutney and not tired of it.




Canada

In past years, I had tried the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup and loved it so much that much of the reason I returned was for this soup  (it is cheese, after all)

I don';t know if it was how full I was by this point or if my memory was better than my reality but I actually was disappointed with this soup.  It was good, I guess, but not as good as I had remembered.


Greece

OK, by this point in my adventure, I had been eating for about nine hours and was at the point of rolling rather than walking the rest of the way.  So, even though I am Greek, and even though I would have loved to have tired something interesting, I knew I still had four stops to make.  I settled for (and please be kind to me) and cup of Dannon Oikos Vanilla Greek Nonfat Yogurt.


Deserts & Champagne


I don't care how full you are or how many countries you have eaten at, there is always room for desert.



A fellow diner let me take a picture of her trio sampler



I had the Dark Chocolate Mousse with Chili and Salted Caramel.  The chocolate was smooth and creamy and then, just after you swallowed, there was an aftertaste of Chili peppers.  It was very, very good.  If you can only try one thing at eh festival, this makes my list of top five things

Hawaii




I had the Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise.  It was a perfect blend of flavors.

Note the cute little mickey mouse in the corner

Craft Beers



I tried the Leinenkugel`s Berry Weiss beer.  I am glad they offer it in 4 ounce cups because if I had any more than that, I would have been asleep before leaving the park.  It was Okay but, again, I am not a big wine and beer drinker.

Terra


At Terra, EPCOT's new vegetarian kiosk, I tried the Chocolate Cake Passion fruit Sorbet and Coconut Foam.

I am not a vegetarian and, if this is how I would have to eat, fear not, I never will be.It was only one of two dishes that I will declare truly nasty.

With this, I had conquered the Wine and Food Festival.  I had tried at least one thing at each kiosk.  I went back tot he W&F headquarters to collect my "completer stamp".  As the cast member took my book to stamp it, I looked up at the ceiling. He asked me what I was doing and I said  "I am looking for the balloons and confetti"  It was a bit of a letdown.  No music. no balloons, no one asked me for an autograph or asking me how I managed to do it.  But, I knew I had done it.  I had eated at 28 different countries in a day and a half.

Next year - 28 deserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment