Our Goal:

OUR GOAL: Visit fifty states within the next two years. (edited: We missed our two year deadline but still hope to visit all 50 states)

The Rules: States we visit or where we have already visited as a family (three or more members) count. States visited by only one or two family members (such as a business trip) don't count.

Layovers and stopovers don't count. We have to actually either drive though a state or do some activity, outside of the airport, in that state.



Sunday, February 10, 2013

We must interrupt this trip report with an announcement

Even though we went to Colorado months ago, apparently, I didn't finish downloading the pictures.  Since we are in an Internet black hole out here in the countryside, I have to wait until Monday to visit the local library and use the Internet there.

In the mean time, I will ramble on about the thought process behind our next trip.

If you look at our travel map, you will see that there is a tiny little hole right in the middle of a whole lot of orange.  We have not yet made it to West Virginia.  I have but the kids have not.  The reason for this is our airline does not fly to West Virginia.  It makes sense to drive there since we can make it to the closest corned in about 4 hours driving.  A couple of the places we would like to see are about 7 hours from our house.  We were considering going this weekend but my husband is....well.... how do I put this.... my husband is a big old scardey cat.  He doesn't want the kids and I traveling so far in our beat up old van.  He also cited the expense of driving so far (for what he considers a silly reason, I am sure)  So, West Virgina will have to wait for now.  I think we would enjoy it more in the spring or summer anyway when everything is all greened up.

The kids have a three day weekend and I am always off on Mondays  I spent the day looking at flights to see where we might go this weekend.  After crossing off all the cities where the flights were full or almost full.  And then crossing off the ones where the flights would be too long for a three day weeks.  I then proceeded to eliminate anywhere where it would be cold.  I ran the cities through the weather channel website and saved the ones where the temperatures would be mild.

The four finalists are:

Little Rock, AK
Phoenix, AZ
New Orleans, LA
Oklahoma City, OK

My next step is going to be investigating what there is to do in each of these cities and which one(s) are most affordable.  In the past week or so, I lost three days pay due to illness, a snow day, and a sick child.  Since I get paid only when I work, I am expecting only half my usual paycheck.  Budget will be very critical this trip.

I am determined to go somewhere this weekend though.  Not only do I not want to miss taking advantage of the three day weekend but also, Big Boy is starting an acting workshop soon which will keep us tied up for the next five weekends.

Well, back to my Internet research.  I will blog again when I either have pictures uploaded or have figured out where we will be going.

Also, say tuned for trips reports for another Disney trip and trips to Kentucky and Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment