Our Goal:

OUR GOAL: Visit fifty states within the next two years. (edited: We missed our two year deadline but still hope to visit all 50 states)

The Rules: States we visit or where we have already visited as a family (three or more members) count. States visited by only one or two family members (such as a business trip) don't count.

Layovers and stopovers don't count. We have to actually either drive though a state or do some activity, outside of the airport, in that state.



Monday, February 4, 2013

Disneyworld Wine and Food festival

Upon arrival at EPCOT, I picked up a festival passport (free)  and had it stamped at each kiosk where I ate. 






Of course, I had hit some of the kiosks on day one but day two was my big day to try everything.  I arrived at EPCOT around ten, knowing that World Showcase does not open until 11:00.  I stopped in at the W&F HQ which is where body wars used to be.  There I discovered  a couple of things.  First, they have a "Chase lounge" which is a room open exclusively to Chase card holders and Disney rewards Visa Holders.  Having both made entry a sure thing.  The room was just a quiet little lounge where you could enjoy free coffee and fountain soda (4 ounce cups), let your kids watch cartoons and  - the best kept secret in the park - pick up special wrist bands which entitle you to guaranteed seating a the Eat to the Beats concerts (one show per guest, per night) and entry into a special viewing area for Illuminations.  No need to line up hours ahead of the concert or to find a viewing spot hours before the illuminations show.




I grabbed my free soda, my free Gevalia chocolate square and headed over to the World Showcase.  On the way, I snagged a free packet of Ocean Spray Cran-raisins.  Soda, chocolate and cran-raisins... breakfast was taken care of and no money spent so far.



As soon as the food kiosks opened, I began my quest.:

Caribbean







I had a really flavorful dish called ropa Veija with cilantro rice

Argentina

Grilled Beef Skewer with Cimichurri sauce and Boniato Puree

Australia

By far, my favorite dish of the whole trip was the Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies that I had in Australia.  True confession time... it was so good that I took the whole family back down a couple of weeks later just so that I could eat it again.  sadly, on the second trip, I only got one serving and my kids gobbled most of it, leaving me with only the picked bone to gnaw on.

 

Mexico



In Mexico, I in joyed a beef taco which was called Taco de Filet (Casabel Pepper Sauce and Scallions, served on a flour tortilla).  I could have eaten more of those.

Scandinavia

Now, here is where I may lose some of you, especially my non adventurous family.  In Scandinavia, I chose the Taste of Scandinavia - Cured Salmon, Herring and Shrimp Salad.



I loved every bite of it even down to the dill garnish.

China



As I write this, I cannot recall for the life of me, why I chose the mundane Pork Pot stickers over the Chicken Satay with Spiced Peanut Sauce and Pickled vegetable while in China.  They were good but far from adventurous.

South Korea



This was the first thing I didn't like.  No, that is an understatement.  The Mung Bean Pancake with Shrimp and Kimchi Sauce was disgusting.  It was the only food I actually threw away after only one bite.

South Africa



OMG, OMG!  That is all I can say.  Almost as good as the lamb chop in Australia, I enjoyed  the Seared Fillet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potato.  It was a tiny little bite but it was perfectly cooked and packed with flavor.  And the sweet potatoes were delicious.

Cheese and the Brewer's Collection





I chose the fondue over the Artisan Cheese Selection because, frankly, who can resit melted cheese?  By this time, I was getting pretty full and, although the fondue was OK, I didn't find it to be great.  I paired it with  a Schofferhofer Grapefruit beet from the Brewers Collection, not because I wanted beer but because there was a beer kiosk and rules are rules.

The beer reminded me a bit of a Lim-a-rita  (google it if you haven't tried one already).

I should take a moment to mention that one of the great things about this solo trip was that I could go at my own pace.  Every couple of countries, I would feel quite full.  I would stop and watch a show, people watch, or even read my kindle for while before setting out again.

Germany

 

I am not a fan of German food.  I tried the Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll but didn't care much for it.  I couldn't finish this dish.

Poland



Zapeikani (Toasted Mushroom, caramelized Onion and Cheese Bread with House-made Ketchup) sounds good on paper, until you get to the ketchup, that is.  But, in fact, in person this dish was just plain weird.  Another half eaten dish tossed in the can.

Italy


I can't find my picture of the Cannoli I ate in Italy but it was time for something sweet.  It was,... well,... Cannoli.  You ususally can't go wrong with a deep fried shell filled with cream but this was especially good.  Described as Canolli al Cioccolato (Chocolate Covered Cannoli filled with Sweet Ricotta, Chocolate and candied Fruit), it really hit the spot.

Fife & Drum


Again, rules are rules.  The only offerings at the Fife & Drum were the Red Stag Frozen Lemonade and the Red Stag Frozen Honey Tea Lemonade.  I had the generous frozen lemonade.  And then I had a nap.

This seems like a good time to take a break.  The rest of the food adventure will have to wait for tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment